Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Clay and Paint

So we got some sculpy brand clay at Joann's the other day for about $2.50. Also bought some metallic acrylic paints for about $2 a bottle. We were able to mold and model about 20 gears out of the block of clay, and painted them after they baked. The paints we bought were by Deco art, and the copper color (worn penny) was awesome. The gold and silver were thin and took 3 or 4 coats. I dug out another bottle of silver I had from a different project, but it was just as thin. All together, though, it just took some extra patience. I think spray paint will be the way to go once we use up the acrylics that I bought.

2 comments:

  1. Keep an eye on them as we get closer to the con. Sometimes the shiny in those metallic acrylics will fade or rub off with time (At least, it does with miniatures). They should be fine as long as you store them in a box in a closet or something, but it's probably a good idea to be ready just in case they need some touchup a week before, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I spray them with some kind of clear top-coat. Maybe that would help preserve the shiny.

    ReplyDelete